“Facebook Dating” launched in 2018, and – until now – has only been available in 19 countries including Canada, Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, and the Philippines. At long last, the wait is over for us Americans who want to see what it’s all about. So, if you’re going to dive face-first into the Facebook dating pool, here’s what you’ll need to know:
- You don’t need a separate app for this, like you do with Messenger. Just opt-in through Facebook and fill out a profile.
- Your dating profile will be different than your regular Facebook profile so your friends won’t know you’re on it unless you tell them…or someone who sees you on it has a big mouth.
- Facebook Dating will suggest matches to you…so there’s no swiping. Suggestions are based on your preferences, interests, and other things you’re active with over Facebook.
- If you’re interested in someone who’s suggested, you can message them directly or tap the “like” icon on their profile. If you’re not interested, you can just pass.
- The “Secret Crush” feature allows you to match with people you already know. It’s an option, though, and your friends won’t see you unless you activate it.
- Once “Secret Crush” is activated, you can pick up to nine of your friends you’re hot and bothered for. If your friend has Facebook Dating active, they’ll get a notice that someone “has a crush” on them. If they activate the “Crush” feature, and click on you, too…then you’ve got yourself a match!
- If you go on a date with someone, you can share your location with someone on Messenger…just in case you want someone around to have your back.
- Eventually, you’ll be able to share your Facebook Dating stories over FB or Instagram. That feature hasn’t been rolled-out yet, though.
- It’s free, and Facebook Dating will always let you know who has “liked” you.